The City of Dover has a reputation as an attractive, clean and proud community. Maintaining that image isn’t only about tending to the City’s facilities, but also requires constant attention to hundreds of other locations throughout the City, such as street islands, ball fields, median strips, parks, cemeteries and street corners.
Thanks to the dedication of Dover Main Street volunteers, the City has saved significantly on maintenance and grounds keeping costs at dozens of locations. The Adopt-A-Spot program is an example of the community pitching in to help beautify public property while saving tax dollars in the process.
The program began in 1995 as a way to allow the community – businesses, individuals, civic clubs, garden clubs, churches, and other organizations – to maintain a wide variety of public property, including all of the City’s parks. Volunteers perform routine maintenance, such as mowing, weeding, litter removal, landscape plantings, painting, and in some cases, minor repairs. Some participants choose to donate funds to help pay for maintenance or make donations of materials or provide discounts on products or services.
Whether it’s the volunteer effort to maintain these sites, or through donations, the hard work and community spirit not only help keep the City attractive, they reduce the City’s cost of such work.
Dover Main Street manages the program and is actively seeking new volunteers and adding additional spots for adoption.
- All Aboard Mobile Dog Grooming - Silver St Ext.
- Be Free Community Church - One Washington Street (at Main & Washington)
- Blissful Soul - Central Ave (Between Orchard & Washington)
- Bob Sherwood Landscape Co. - Bellamy Rd/Rt 155/Rt 9 Intersection and Crosby Rd & Littleworth Rd
- Bonnie Coffin - Garrison Road (next to #15 Garrison)
- Brenda Spinney Reyna & Emerald Mundt - Horne Street Park
- Catherine Mills - Park Street Park
- Dan, Abby and Katey - Main St/Washington Street - left side
- DME Designs, LLC - Dover Point Rd int. of Middle Rd
- Don't Trash Dover - Silver & Arch St
- Dover Knights of Columbus - Woodman Park Planter
- Dover Prof. Fire Officers Local 2909 - Broadway/St John/Winter
- Dover Prof Firefighters, Local 1312 - Third & Central
- Edward J George Family - Immigrants Park
- Family of Debbie Fernald - Hancock Park-Entrance Area
- Fracassa Designworks - Children's Museum of New Hampshire
- Friends of Longhill Dog Park - Longhill Dog Park
- Fritsch Landscapes - Main St/Portland Ave
- Garden of sustenance - Central and Stark
- iBody Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork - Portland Avenue/Chapel Street
- Joan Kula - City Hall, Central & Hale, City Hall front garden/St. Thomas
- LaValleys/Middleton Building Supply - Willand Pond
- LincolnGrove Landscape - Dover Transportation Center Entrance
- Margery Sullivan Chapter, NSDAR - Library Monument
- Michael Chalue - Mast Rd/Back River Rd
- Patricia Taylor - George Street (Squall Point)
- Pepler's Lawncare & Landscape LLC - Silver Street Rotary
- Raycycler LLC Back River Rd (near Durham Rd) and Durham Rd (near Back River Rd)
- Robin Timmerman - Washington Street/Fourth Street
- Seapoint Massage and Wellness LLC - Woodman Park
- SEHstudios.com - River St/Washington St
- Sons of the American Legion Post 8 - Washington Street/Arch Street
- Spring Village At Dover - Stark/Central
- Stephen Piper - Dover Transportation Center Island #3-8
- Temescal Wellness - Main St/Utility area in front of Loxsmith Bagel
- The Coakley Family - Locust & Central Ave Intersection
- The Flower Room - Myrtle Street on both sides of walkway adjacent to garage
- The Masiello Group - George/Angle/Central
- Triangle Club Inc. - Amanda Howard Park (Elmwood & Fairview Ave)
- Wyskiel, Boc, Tillinghast, Bolduc - Chestnut & Central